Wednesday 25 August 2010

Tea and Temperatures... and a Poem!

I met up with my friends today in our favourite tea room, which was absolutely lovely, but I have also come down with a temperature. It's a really strange illness because I don't have a cold or a sick-bug or anything, I just feel numb and achey at the same time, and slightly nauseous. It's not pleasant.

Anyway, enough of my moaning. I wrote yet another Diamond Dogs-inspired poem earlier. It was a kind of two-minute activity so it's not particularly great, but I like some of the ideas in it (because they are Bowie's and not mine)...

***

Nights falls and

Once again we are here,

Clutching the remnants of our shattered futures,

Screaming as our skeletal sisters writhe in the doorways of

Those sterile skyscrapers.

You screeched into the cracked canvas of the night,

Shattering those infertile star-dots with your voice,

Breaking into the red desert of the polluted horizon,

A stark reminder of the bird-cries we have lost.

Graphically yours, we pray that you will sing,

Soften the shrieks and hum lullabies that will

Soothe us in our insomniac starvation.

***


Again, most credit goes to Bowie. <3

Dystopia pretty much made my life...


J xxx

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, I love it! Your imagery is gorgeous. Those little turns of phrase you have like 'graphically yours' and 'cracked canvas of the night' make your writing really nicely stylised. So however much this was inspired by Bowie, it has your own voice.

    Sorry to hear about your fevery-thing though. I hope it goes away IMMEDIATELY. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as I would love to steal the credit, 'graphically yours' is a Bowie-steal I'm afraid! But yeah, the other is mine haha.

    Thanks Jen! xxx

    ReplyDelete