Sunday 10 January 2010

Back to Blogging

Good morning,

I am heartily sorry that I have not written properly for so long. I wrote so much on here from the summer to November, and then, quite suddenly, I stopped. Obviously, things became rather busy around the Christmas season, but also I was overcome with a rather disconcerting sadness and fatigue and a loss of hope in everything that I believe in... so to write on here would have taken a bigger effort than usual and, actually, a bit of hypocrisy as I doubted all of my opinions and values.

Fortunately for me, and perhaps unfortunately for you, my old self has returned -- if a little more cynical, liberal and doubtful than before -- so this means I need to get back into the business of blogging! :)

I am going to start with a characteristic moan about our messed-up, appearance-obsessed society. Specifically, I am going to moan about a dating website that claims to connect so-called "attractive" people with other people that fit the same narrow, shallow characteristics. The site, Beautiful People, is an exclusive club that accepts a small percentage of applicants, based purely on their physical attractiveness as voted by other users. If this concept wasn't hideous in itself, this news article caught my attention, and sparked my shock, recently:


I need not explain why this is so saddening, and such a hideous symptom of our sad and sick society.

Anyway, on a happier note, I also came across this exciting article in my copy of the G2 on Friday: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/jan/08/the-feminist-year-ahead
This is giving me much hope -- feminism is definitely coming back into public consciousness -- and I look forward to getting down to London to get involved in a bit of activism!

Happy New Year,

J
xxx


1 comment:

  1. Yay! I missed your blogging greatly, J. Glad to see you're back on-form. :)

    Uggh, I still can't believe that Beautiful People thing. As if the concept of the site in itself wasn't twisted enough! D:

    But good news about feminism in the g2! Bring on 2010 in true feministing spirit! xxx

    ReplyDelete