Thursday 18 February 2010

Emilie Autumn


Words cannot describe how much I adore Miss Emilie!

Terra first introduced me to the wonderful world of Autumn when I was doing my GCSEs in the summer of 2008 -- how long ago those days seem! -- and she has been a firm favourite on my iPod for quite some time. Recently, however, I have developed something of an obsession with EA, whose lyrics, violin and costumes melt my heart and challenge my mind.



Emilie appeals to me for so many reasons. There's nothing she has done, musically, that I don't love. From the dream-like, piano-decorated example of superior songwriting that is Enchant to the passionate, industrial and intelligent Opheliac, I cannot fault her work. Her melodies are mesmerising and never cease to amaze me; the haunting tune of 4 o'clock, combined with the anguished lyrics, makes it one of the most addictive EA songs for me.

Miss Autumn can play the violin like no one else can. Energy and creativity radiates from the stripy instrument that is like a fifth limb to her corseted frame. Listening to her instrumental work, namely the double-album Laced/Unlaced, is a real joy. When she combines her remarkable violin-playing with her heavy industrial sound, she creates a truly unique experience for the listener. Sure, many artists play stringed instruments, but no one quite combines professionalism, quirkiness and sophistication quite like Emilie.

Her costumes and artistic performances also hugely capture my imagination, and I haven't even seen her live yet (bring on the 12th March!). Emilie is a beautiful and effortlessly stylish lady, and all of that beauty and style comes from within and is reflected in her awesome outfits and props, not to mention her famous pink hair! The glitter, the teacups, the corsets... Emilie's Asylum for Wayward Victorian Girls is certainly a colourful place to be. Sane people need not apply :p

Emilie's intelligence and real experiences of psychiatric illness make her work genuine, sincere and thought-provoking. Emilie produces her work for herself, not for her fans: she does what the fuck she wants, and she means it. She's a great role model (see Terra's absolutely fantastic article, Grrrl Power: Emilie Autumn) and she shows that you can be whoever you want to be: it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Celebrate your quirks, rejoice in your eccentricity, and if you're completely mad you can still be awesome :D The depth and beauty of Emilie's lyrics and poetry is clear to see, so even if you're not a fan of the industrial sound there's something for everyone to be found in her work!

Emilie, you have inspired me so much: I salute you :)

J xxx

4 comments:

  1. Hooray for Emilie!

    Your words made me love her even more, J. This is such a lovely tribute to her!

    And I love how everything that is so awesome about her totally comes from her heart and her own hard work: as you say, she writes all her music and lyrics with intelligence and heart-felt experience, and she even designs and makes her own costumes and props! She is truly an amazingly inspirational person! ♥

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it. Haha, I was worried it would sound a bit silly, just raving about Emilie on my blog for no real purpose, but she's COMPLETELY AWESOME!!! XD

    I wish I could make corsets like Emilie can. Still, practice makes perfect!

    <3 <3 <3

    J xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. She really, really is. And hopefully, people who drop by and read this will be inspired to check out her music too! You're spreading the Emilie-love! <3

    Indeed! And she's probably made millions in her time. I'm sure yours will be lovely: I can't wait to see it! :)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I don't think anyone actually reads this blog except my followers :)

    I'm desperate to order the busk and boning... I WANT TO FINISH IT NOOOOW xxxx

    ReplyDelete