Saturday 24 October 2009

Shout! The True Story of the Beatles

It was with much excitement that I found Shout! in my favourite music shop, priced at just three pounds. I had it on Dad's authority, and from several magazines, that it is the definitive Beatles biography. I eagerly bought it, and a few days later began to read.

I have now finished it, surprised at how long it took to complete. The size of the book is misleading: while it could not be described as thin, it looks like a quick read until you open the pages and see the small and closely-spaced print. I read through it steadily, intrigued, as I always am, by the fascinating story of the world's greatest group.

The author, Philip Norman, writes in an engaging and readable style that is hardly academic but certainly creates the impression of a man who knows his stuff. Although I was slightly bemused by his rather foolish comparison of John Lennon's death with the events of 9/11 in the introduction, I felt that the book was going to be much more informative than the other Beatles biography that I have read, Hunter Davies' 1960s work The Beatles.

The Beatles is a rather innocent book, leaving out the nastier side of the story and glossing over controversial facts due to the wishes of the relatives of those involved. Because it was, and still is, the only authorised biography of the group, Davies has no choice but to present The Beatles favourably. However, The Beatles does have the advantage of being a genuine historical source. Having read the book, and thoroughly enjoyed it, I closed it having built up much respect for his author. In a 100-page 2009 introduction, Davies explains why he has chosen not to revise and improve the text: it is like a time capsule of history. For all its inaccuracies, it's great.

Anyway, back to Shout! Unlike Davies' biography, Norman tells the whole story without fear of controversy. Sex, drugs, scandal: none of it is censored, and he weaves in the historical context successfully. He introduces each character gradually and thus doesn't throw too much individual biographical information in your face.

I particularly liked Norman's writing on the Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, who tragically died in 1967 of a drug overdose. He was a sad and confused figure whose homosexuality was obvious to all who knew him yet was something he tried so hard to stifle. Madly in love with John Lennon, his management of the Beatles was at once an exciting and heartbreaking time for Brian. Unlike Davies, who barely hints at Brian's sexuality to avoid upsetting his mother, Norman gives a sensitive and touching account of the sad life of Brian Epstein.

Unfortunately, as the book came to its end, I became more and more annoyed with Norman. Particularly in the final section of Shout!, he demonstrates a clear and somewhat outrageous pro-John Lennon bias, whilst criticising Paul McCartney in a way that can only be described as harsh. Although admitting to being a "John person" in the introduction (most Beatles fans class themselves as either a "John-person" or a "Paul-person"; I pride myself on being both!), there is no excuse for his unbalanced adoration and dislike of John and Paul respectively. John's flaws are excused, whilst Paul's are enhanced. Norman appreciates John's sense of humour and sharp tongue, whilst he is unimpressed with Paul's "nice-guy" image; presumably he thinks John to be more authentic. John is presented as the talented one, the funny one, and his frankly awful treatment of his pre-Yoko wife Cynthia is barely commented on. Paul is presented as a jealous, obsessive fake who can never live up to his Beatle partner.

This bias irritated me and changed my opinion of the whole work. Its subtitle, The True Story of the Beatles, came into question for me. I was also irritated with Shout!'s abrupt end, and its increasingly arrogant assumptions. "George wasn't great," Norman writes, and goes on to say that he was merely an average guy who got lucky. Norman also assumes that his book is the best, particularly criticising Many Years From Now, an interview-based authorised biography of Paul. Naturally, Norman wouldn't approve of any book which portrays Paul in a positive light. It sneers at how a whole chapter of the book is dedicated to Paul's taste in art. I have been dipping in and out of Many Years From Now since May, and I will testify to its quality as a book.

Shout! is clearly a well-researched and well-written biography, but, despite its great start and middle, its bias becomes its downfall towards the end. Philip Norman is too confident in his talent as a Beatles expert and biographer for my taste, and, while Shout! may be juicier and more accurate in actual events than the quaint 60s The Beatles, its disappointing bias and almost vitriolic attack on Paul makes The Beatles a much less infuriating read. This is not to say that I didn't enjoy Shout! and I would still reccomend it to any Beatles fan; after all, it is "the definitive."

xxx

5 comments:

  1. It sounds like the bias kind of taints 'Shout!' - as we know from many history lessons! It's hard to think that with a group as popular as the Beatles though, that anyone completely unbiased/unprejudiced could approach researching them. It's got to be nearly impossible to be completely neutral!

    I thought this was a good book review, J~ It's informative and critical, but personal at the same time. :D

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I suppose bias is always going to be a problem but... I really think it's pushed a bit far in this case!

    He seems to ignore how truly unpleasant John could be; some people think John was a really horrible person. I don't think he was, personally, but I don't think he's totally deserving of the hero worship he gets in "Shout!" and I was particularly annoyed by how much Paul is slagged off.

    I think both Paul and John had their faults but they were essentially extremely talented individuals with huge capacity for love and passion but huge egos too haha :D

    Thank you for commenting!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. It doesn't sound very fair at all, really! Sometimes it's hard to admit that however much you admire someone, and however talented they are, they're still human, and they will have faults!

    Aww to them both with huge egos, haha :D

    You're muchly welcome~ I'm enjoying the running Beatles theme atm. <3

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone has their faults don't they, it's no secret. There was this bunch of girls who spent the best part of two years literally camped outside Paul's house! People literally hero-worship the Beatles which isn't a good thing. I'm interested in them because as Norman says in the intro, if they hadn't existed and you wrote a novel about it, everyone would think it was completely far-fetched. But it really happened. Yet I don't worship them.

    Interestingly, John really grew to hate the hero-worship and ironically he preached the message not to worship the Beatles a bit like a prophet!!! Unfortunately in his post-Beatles work he really dissed the band and its quasi-religious image, the most famous lyric being "I don't believe in Beatles."

    Oh, good, I hope I'm not boring you with my ridiculous obsessed anorak-dom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, lol!

    I think there's definitely a difference between being a fan of someone and idolising them. And some people just don't know where to draw the line...

    It's a shame he dissed the band when he was probably more annoyed at what the band became in a media perspective than in its musical actuality.

    No, your anorak-dom is tres cool! :D

    xxx

    ReplyDelete