Thursday 9 July 2009

Torchwood, Trips and Time

Bonsoir!

Tonight's penultimate episode of Torchwood has just finished, and I am reeling slightly from it's somewhat cathartic plotline.

CAUTION: If you are a viewer who has not yet caught up with the story-so-far, please do not read the next paragraph.

Firstly: Ianto dying in Jack's arms was heartbreaking! I never thought they'd kill off Ianto, having only killed off Tosh and Owen at the end of the last series. And he never got to know Jack, he never got to know how much Jack loved him! Oh dear... I'm being really pathetic now, that's quite enough of that. Secondly: HOW ARE THEY GOING TO SAVE THOSE KIDS?! I really can't see how they can, short of phoning up the Tardis and getting the Doctor to come and save everyone. Well, I will find out tomorrow night!!! Oh, the suspense.

Moving on...

Today was a supposedly "grown-up" trip to Waddesdon Manor and Bicester Village, and I must say that it wasn't the best day of my life. I enjoyed the outbound bus journey, and I enjoyed seeing the aviary and rose-garden, but that's pretty much where it ends. For most of the tour of the house I was so hungry I couldn't think about anything but my stomach, and the weather was neither hot or cold and decidedly dull with a slight hint of humidity. After a pathetically short time to explore the wonderful grounds, we were whisked away to Bicester Village. I had a headache, but I was also slightly wound up by the ridiculous wealth-obsessed, too-perfect, capitalist, Pleasantville nature of the place. An extremely sexist lingerie shop window display annoyed me, and I felt completely out of place. My headache didn't help either. I was glad to leave. What a waste of time.

Time is a funny thing. Ellie sometimes says, "Time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted time," and I quite agree, because I sometimes think people spend hours and hours trying to savour every moment by keeping outrageously busy all the time or taking a ridiculous amount of photographs to mark occasions. I'm actually a big advocate for doing nothing. I enjoy being lazy. Lying on my bed listening to records with a cup of tea at my side is the closest thing to bliss.

I look forward to wasting my time when I get back from India. It'll be lovely to have a week of doing nothing, and thinking instead of moving. I love thinking. I love having an opinion. It's so much more important to me than being a social butterfly or a big user of the gym.

Another phrase springs to mind: "Remember that we are human beings, not human doings."

xxx

1 comment:

  1. Ah, I haven't been watching Torchwood. Quite a few people have been saying how good it is though, and now I kind of wish I had...

    I totally agree with you about the trip - after visiting the rose garden, the fun stopped. I was about to eat myself with boredom during that tour! D:
    And I agree about Bicester Village too. Being submerged in a place that exists solely for the exchange of money makes the stomach churn.

    Doing nothing is great! I wish I was less neurotic so that I could do nothing more often! But there is sure to be time during the summer! :D

    ReplyDelete