Saturday 13 March 2010

More Emilie Autumn

Last night, I had the privilege of seeing EA in the flesh at the Islington 02 Academy. This was an extremely exciting experience for me, even though it went slightly wrong (!). Earlier this week, I finished The Asylum for Wayward Victorian Girls, and so I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to ramble about Emilie! I'm going to talk about the book first, then the concert. xD

The Asylum for Wayward Victorian Girls

When I got my hands on this beautiful hardback book for the first time, I thought the excitement would kill me! It's been eagerly-awaited for quite some time, and so it was wonderful to hold it, having previously had tantalising tasters on Emilie's 4 o'Clock EP. The novel is a work of art, decorated with photographs, drawings and handwriting. Even if the writing itself wasn't fantastic, the book would be worth having just as beautiful object to behold. I am particularly fond of the beautiful paintings of mentally disturbed leeches and the amusing "Killjoy's Corsets" drawing.

The story itself is wonderful; a clever mixture of Victorian gothic literature and modern-day psychological study. Interspersed with the entries of EA in her modern Hollywood mental institute and Emily-with-a-'y' in the Asylum for Wayward Victorian Girls are three diaries in which manic-depressive EA explores the darkest of issues and taboos: suicide, self-harm, personality-altering medication. My favourite of these diaries is her Cutting Diary, in which Emilie rationally explains why she sliced her thighs and why she no longer does: be prepared to have your misconceptions turned on their heads.

The writing is beautiful: elegant, engaging and sometimes even hypnotic (rather like EA's speaking voice, indeed!). There are inconsistencies--which is perhaps not surprising given that Emilie has put the whole thing together herself--such as obvious Americanisms in the Victorian parts of the novel, which are supposed to be written by an English girl, and there are lots of typos and spelling mistakes. However, I found that this didn't frustrate me in the slightest. In fact, the book has a real sense of character: it has come from Emilie and reflects her personality. It is not over-edited or perfect, and somehow it wouldn't work if it was; it's an organic and very human piece of work. It is difficult to separate reality from fiction throughout the novel, which is technically autobiographical, but this adds an element of confusion that reflects EA's 'education and entertainment' purposes marvellously. This book will make you think, and it may even make your head spin. It certainly made me cry!

An excellent read. I can't wait to read it again!


Emilie Autumn's Asylum Tour, Islington 12/03/2010

Standing near to the stage with my friends and gazing at the beautiful stage-set, I felt the excitement racing through me. The time seemed to go so slowly while I waited for EA and her Bloody Crumpets to enter the stage. When they finally did, and EA emerged from behind the clock-face at the back of the stage, I found myself wiping tears of emotion away from my eyes. I had a fantastic time singing along to 4 o'Clock, Opheliac, The Art of Suicide and Shallot, as well as watching Contessa introduce the Bloody Crumpets and EA have a 'moment alone' with the audience.

Unfortunately, after the Naughty Veronica's lovely burlesque routine, I started to find myself fainting from dehydration, hunger and overheating. I pushed my way out of the crowd, and collapsed onto my knees at the side of the stage. A kind security guard came and took me into a corridor just as God Help Me started. I drank about three glasses of water, then attempted to push my way back into the crowd, only to find that I felt ill again. A kind medic checked my pulse and gave me more water. It was decided that I couldn't be allowed back inside the claustrophobic crowd in front of the stage, so I was taken upstairs in a lift and sat down at the back of the balcony, watching Veronica and EA introduce the 'Rat Game' on a screen. After being given a free coke and having a little lie down during Misery Loves Company (and it was a bloody shame I had no company at this point because I was miserable to be missing one of my favourite songs. I took a peek at the umbrella-dance going on below and immediately had to lie down again), I started to feel better and watched an electric violin piece, Dead is the New Alive, Bohemian Rhapsody, Thank God I'm Pretty and Let The Record Show from the corner of the balcony, singing along loudly and gazing upon EA's beautiful form from above!
I was delighted to be able to enjoy the rest of the gig, and in the end I didn't miss a huge amount at all. My throat was hurting from singing so loudly by the end, and I met up with my friends fairly easily after emerging from the balcony.

It was AMAZING to see the wonderful Emilie Autumn in the flesh, and I will definitely go again next time she's in the UK. There is, however, a moral to the story: Do not go to gigs without water and food. Especially if you're J and you're sensitive to such things! xD

"WHAT is the new alive?!?"

J xxx


1 comment:

  1. "DEAD!!!"

    Ah, more Emilie loveage. I absolutely adore her book, as you know, and completely agree with your review of it. It's somehow simultaneously an amazing work of art and a very real, very human emotional piece of introspective writing.

    And the gig was amazing. It was so wonderful to see Emilie again, and I was so glad Maggot was there too!

    But you definitely should never go to a gig without water and food again!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete